UKA Permits for Endurance Events

Richard Weston has provided the note below:

We are all familiar with the UKA registration procedure for track & field meetings to apply for a permit and thereby obtain public and employers liability insurance cover for that meeting.

I wasn’t sure of the position regarding endurance events, i.e. those taking place outside a stadium, namely road, cross country and walks, including relays.  My interest was aroused by my club, Thames Hare & Hounds, organising the (cross country) Varsity Races, between Oxford and Cambridge Universities, as we have since their inception long long ago.

As a result I have had a very interesting correspondence with John Temperton at UKA which has informed me on the one hand but also enabled me, I believe, to help clarify the guidelines on the other.  Unfortunately you’ll have to take my word for that because I believe the guidelines in their present form are being withdrawn and replaced by updated and wider ranging insurance guidelines.

The original guidelines were in two halves, one for Associations and clubs (and schools down to County level) and the other for professional promoters who are nevertheless affiliated to UKA.

In respect of the clubs’ position I felt you might benefit from my research in case you are unaware of the position.

Clubs are required to apply for a permit in the following circumstances:

  1. Charge for entry
  2. Have 150 or more participants
  3. Have unregistered athletes taking part.

While the first two are fairly straightforward the third is definitely not.  John appreciates that clubs that don’t register all their members automatically are likely to arrange informal club races for their own members which will involve athletes who are unregistered because they have no intention of taking part in inter-club competition, e.g. because they have retired.  The understanding therefore, and this has now been cleared with the insurers, is that for such events, and indeed for inter-club informal races such as mob matches (even if the entry exceeds 150 hardy souls) a permit is not required but the club would still be covered by insurance.  One could perhaps think of other examples, such as inviting a local club in another sport in the hope of attracting new members.

In respect of club events where an entry fee is charged one would assume those are Open Events, but my club, for instance, makes a modest charge for club handicaps in order to fund a prize for the winner.  It is agreed that in such circumstances the “charging” rule is waived.

I hope this helps.

Richard Weston

O & OE